Sunday, January 26, 2014

HoCho Fest Day 8: The Evita

Ah, the beautiful day arrived when it came time to go to Bella GelaterĂ­a! This was probably my favourite stop from last year's hot chocolate festival, and this year it seems they somehow stepped up their game.. In a couple of ways.

gBAR flavoured with salted caramel - Argentina style. 
Served with Erin Ireland's "To Die For" Banana Bread. 
(~$8.50)

The "gBAR" mentioned in the description is the frozen gelato bar; this is where the specific flavours of each of the 6 available hot chocolate festival items come from. The beverage comes as a more-or-less basic hot chocolate of varying darkness with soy and almond milk options available, and the gBAR is then stirred into the hot chocolate. My company and I each chose a different beverage flavour - Mine, the Evita; hers, Monkey's Uncle; his, the London Foggy.

The gBAR reminded me of a Fudgsicle in its texture - perfectly frozen and creamy and biteable without hurting the teeth! It was smooth with caramelly flavour, and it melted easily into the hot chocolate as I began to stir.
As for the almond milk hot chocolate on its own, it was not particularly smooth. This was not bad, though, as it was "rough" with almond, nutty flavour and dark chocolate. After I mixed in the gBAR, it seemed there was too much hot chocolate for the flavour to be strongly mixed - and part of my bar fell into the bottom! I figured this may serve me well later, but in the mean time I could not continue stirring it with my tiny gBAR stick. There was a subtle caramel flavour at this point, however.
3/4 of the way through the beverage, the lost and unstirrable chunk of gelato could be swirled into the hot chocolate with a couple swooshes of the cup. The caramel now became evident and cancelled the rough dark chocolate texture and the drink became smooth and creamy.
The hot chocolate was delectable, and my company seems to have similar sentiments - we were VERY satisfied when leaving! Partially due to satiation as well, I would recommend going without being too full beforehand (but have something nutritious to absorb the chocolate blow!).

There seemed to be a majority vote to return for gelato (a particularly strong vote from M to return for lavender gelato), so I imagine those photos will crop up one day. We ended our day with sushi and then headed back for football to make use of the deliciousness (it worked, we won).




For more information about the "To Die For" Banana Braed, check this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment