Thursday, April 3, 2014

Back from Hiatus

Hello, M&M.

If I'm not mistaken, it has been quite some time since we've interacted! My hope is to be back more regularly for updates as classes end... and the season of studying for final exams begins.

In the last two weeks...

My mom made special homemade soup for me!

My sister turned nineteen and we went DANCING!









I obviously ended up baking cookies (CCK recipe).

In addition to birthdays, baking, and breaking it down, I have been preparing for the end of this term and what the next chapter of 2014 will hold. 

For the end of this term: 
- My final paper (the first paper I have written in about 16 months!)
- The transition report for the incoming RHA Vice-President
- Final events and socials for the RHA as a whole

The next chapter:
- Job interviews! One last Saturday, and one this coming Saturday with UBC REC
- My official induction as a member of the 2014-15 NRHH
- Applying for summer jobs!
- Preparing for my stint as a residence advisor next school year
Amidst all of these exciting upcoming opportunities and ongoing year-end preparations, I have been trying to get all of my socialization squeezed into these final weeks!

There was the Welcome to Wonderland Boat Cruise:



















There was also the 2nd annual Barn Burner:

I also participated in my third Storm The Wall event! We placed first in our heat which was very exciting, and advanced to the next race - something I haven't accomplished before with my team!
Wall Me Maybe 2.0
Wall Me Maybe 2.1
Beyond attending and organizing events, I have been reflecting on what I've done and been a part of over the last eight months. 
~ Academics have been at a relative high for me, and my involvements have balanced well with school. For the first time in a while, I will miss courses that I've taken this year along with the professors that taught them; I also feel that my major has become more of a place that I feel at home, particularly in my gender and sex differences course (and my personality and behaviour disorders courses last term). 
~ I struggled through another visual arts class but enjoyed being able to use my camera for projects and was pleased that I applied something I'm passionate about in my final project (uploading to blog is currently being contemplated).
~ Being an executive member of the RHA has been great - it puts me in touch with every part of residence (mostly) and I have been a part of a forward-moving year for the organization. I regret the lack of closeness developed with my fellow executives early on, but am grateful that we've done so much as leaders and that we've bonded more in the last little while!
~ My personal life has expanded and evolved in terms of family bonds, friendships, and my relationship - all in ways that I think are taking me in a good direction. I don't know what this direction is, but it feels like a good and enjoyable one.


Overall, this year at UBC has been a good one.
The summer is always a mysterious next chapter - travel plans, new job opportunities (sorry Safeway), and time for friends and family in abundance!
I look forward to seeing where things go.

Once my camera's most recent photos have been uploaded,
I'll get back to this and update on the more recent events following
the Boat Cruise! Barn Burner, food adventures, and more!
Our cityscape view from the boat last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment