Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring is in the air! Plus a new dining discovery.


All of my body's sensory systems are being bombarded by signs of Spring:
- Fully and pink cherry blossoms
- The smell of food wafting from open patios at restaurants
- Seasonally-appropriate Refreshers from Starbucks
- Slipping into Toms every day
- Tired and heavy footsteps during outdoor jogs

 I am struggling to determine if the end of classes (a) was perfectly-timed with the beautiful weather or (b) liberated my mind and allowed me to fully embrace the impending season and all of its glory - either way, it has been lovely.



21 years of life - completed by MM!
We enjoy mason jars over the
traditional glassware.























Block Party/MM's birthday was fun this year! Many friends, amazing weather, and lots of dancing - followed by vegan s'mores on the beach (highly recommended). 



Post-Block Party consisted of more birthday celebrations! And the beginning of studying. While the weather does not seem conducive to studying, it does lift my spirits and has served as inspiration to earn my time outside! Following an afternoon of studying, I had a nap to prepare to socialize more at The Afghan Horseman - a new dining discovery with delicious food! I had the Vegan Plate from their Vegetarian Dishes (pictured above), and zombied my way through dinner before collapsing into bed later that evening.


The following day, GD and I moseyed down to experience The Juice Truck for the first time! This is something I've wanted to do since stumbling across their Instagram account. After sharing two very fulfilling smoothies, we grabbed some free ice cream from Leonidas at Waterfront (a Hot Chocolate Festival location!) for wishing one of their employees a happy birthday.
After all of these birthday and food-related events... We had another birthday AND food-related event! On JS's birthday, and to celebrate a triple-birthday week, I attended a birthday dessert potluck. Wu-Wu and I supplied healthy, vegan chocolate chip cookie muffins! Topped with coconut whipped cream and blueberries, we feel that they were definitely a baking success (thanks Chocolate-Covered Katie for the recipe!).






Before further birthday celebrations continued the following day, I celebrated a belated National Grilled Cheese Day by making vegan grilled cheese (Daiya cheese) and homemade soup with GD, as we had neglected so far to eat dinner. 






Finally, to cap off this entry, the sister and her fellow came over for dinner! We made vegetarian stir fry with a special sweet and sour "pork" recipe from the Calgary Farmer's Market, alongside some homemade mango guacamole supplied by our guests. It was a good birthday dinner for GD and a good day overall!

Now I am delving into studying before my 12-day exam break, where I hope to have more adventures that I can document and write about - until then...

UBC REC full-team selfie!

No comments:

Post a Comment