Saturday, October 4, 2014

We Be Jammin' ("Preserving by the Pint")

For my birthday this year, I requested a book on how to jam/pickle/jelly foods so that I could explore a new hobby that would be mostly inspired by my aunt's amazing grape jelly (family fights almost break out each time she makes a batch). Answering my call for preservation guidance, I received this book:


"Preserving by the Pint" by Marisa McClellen,
author of "Food In Jars" blog and cookbook.
Not only does this book have the basic guidelines for at-home jamming, but it is specifically tailored to individuals who do not want/have the space to make big batches of jam or preserved items! For me - sharing a flat with five other individuals while at school - is ideal.

The book contains many recipes with unique twists to them, rather than simple and basic recipes (which I had expected). While this did throw me for a bit of a loop, I think it will be a good opportunity to try some new herbs and flavours and explore my creative side a bit.

For my first attempt, I chose the most simple recipe I could to cater to my personal tastes: Honey-Sweetened Strawberry Jam. I replaced the honey with agave nectar, and off we went! 








P.S. It tastes as good as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment